Skip to main content

The writer in me

Amaan : ya bro I agree with you. My mom is no better. My mom too changes her my cousins come down from the US. It’s Kind of weird. Weird things happen in those days 

 

Amaan: what do you mean those days ...

 

Friend : My mom puts on an accent. I don’t know where it comes from. Early in the morning I get up. She walks in into my bedroom as my cousins share mine when they are here. So she walks into the room and goes , “ What will you have for breakfast dear ?”

“ And you my darling sarah , what would you like?”

I just sit there shocked. Where does that come from ! 

Friend : you know Amaan, everybody’s got family abroad. You have , don’t you ?

 

Amaan : ya ,I have my aunt and cousins , a few of my dad’s relatives as well

 

Friend : Well I too have. But you know what , when 

language. She will go ... do you wanna have this ...Are you gonna come with us to movies ? Wanna, gonna , like those wannabes types 

 

Friend : I hate it when people put on fake accents. No one ever fakes a Chinese or African accent 

 

Amaan : bro , that’s because no one goes to Africa 

 

Friend  : Now that’s call  racist !! That’s racist when they put on white accent even without travelling 

 

Amaan : ya I think they read too much Harry Potter. That’s why we think about other countries and think they are so racist . I am beginning to think it’s our  fault. You know 

 

Friend : yes because we are not proud of our Own country. Be proud of who you are. They are not better than us 

 

Amaan: Atleast  in India we are not racist huh !! In India neither we are racist nor do we see color , if you don't believe me just stand at the junction below fly over bridge for five to ten minutes no one follows the traffic light! WE DON’T  SEE COLOUR, everybody just goes straight through , The lights are for decoration 

 

Friend : OH YEAH ! And talk about fairness creams. I hate those ads on fairness cream. And Bollywood keeps endorsing them. Imagine Shahrukh Khan - Fair and Handsome. I love Shahrukh but this is not done 

  1. It’s racist 

  2. Ok forget fair . But fair and handsome ? 

 

Amaan: And  dude about these ads and fairness creams they always start on Monday 

 

Friend : how's that? 

 

Amaan: There’s this ad , the girl goes for an interview and she’s shauli ( that’s what we say in our language) Ok .. shauli I mean wheatish  , she is rejected so she goes home and buys some cream and applies , 

Begins on Monday - like I told u !! after 15 days she’s back to the same place , they look at her resume and she instantly gets a job now that’s what I call a racist 


Friend : well talk about the scene in Goa when we go there we see foreigners rubbing cream and basking in the sun ... why ? To get tanned and what we do just rub creams to get fair ... insane!!!

 

Amaan:  We really need to change our mindset bro , we are the most contagious carriers of racism 

(To the crowd ) Do you all agree with us ?

Change must come here and now 

 

Change can begin with you and me ... let’s take a pledge to stop these nonsensical things and be proud of who we are!! Be proud INDIANS!! 


 


Comments